Pictures of the K0RX-5 µWeather™ Station

These pictures show my K0RX-5 µWeather™ station assembled and mounted in a Hammond 1598BGY enclosure. I've soldered all of the IC's directly to the PC board and coated the entire PC board with shellac to eliminate moisture condensation problems, as the unit is deployed outside continuously. Firmware upgrades are easy to do using the bootloader, so I don't need to remove the microcontroller from the PCB. Holes were cut in the enclosure panels using a nibbling tool and a Greenlee round punch. The mesh on the back panel is aluminum screen-door mesh epoxied to the cut-out panel. I've put a 16-pin header on the PC board, but under normal operation don't use the LCD display outside. However, the LCD can fit nicely into the top half of the enclosure - I would need to cut a mounting hole, but there is plenty of room in the top half of the enclosure to fit an LCD display.

 

I've set up the K0RX-5 µWeather™ station at home inside an NWS-esque louvered white box as shown above. The 1-wire anemometer I use in this installation is a Version 3, although µWeather™ will work equally well with Versions 1 and 2. The louvered panels for the box were purchased as mahogany "cafe doors" from Menards, a homeowner supply and lumberyard chain. Total cost for the box, including paint and hardware, was about $60. At the bottom of the internals picture, you can see an Astron 12VDC supply. The middle box is the MicroWeather unit itself, and the radio (IC290H) is on the top shelf. The tie-wraps on the µWeather™ enclosure have now been replaced by case screws, since I'm done working on the panels and shellacking the board.

My plan for later this spring is to replace the Astron supply with a set of solar panels I bought a couple of years ago at a hamfest. The solar panels, coupled with the proper battery and charging circuit (and replacing the FT290H with an Alinco 100mW hand-held radio) will make operation of the K0RX-5 weather station completely self-contained. When I get the solar panels installed, I will include some pictures and technical details here - check back! I also plan to replace the tripod for the 1-wire anemometer with a steel mast when the ground thaws this spring.